Monday 30 January 2012

Rock Candy

Wee! Between job hunting, work and all the other stuff I've been up to lately I obviously haven't had the time to post, or do anything related to clay! BUT tonight I had the time!

I found another tutorial, once again on DeviantArt, to do rock candy! It's been awhile since I had any myself, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I was aiming for SD-sized, since I've got a set of Delf hands on loan. Not entirely sure I succeeded, but at least it's reasonably close to the size.

Anyway...

My intention was to do two, pink for MSD and purple for SD.


Up in the top right corner are the color tests I did. I added a bit more translucent, but the color turned out pretty close.

 

Not gonna lie, this step was a pain in the ass. These purple hadn't been cooked yet, but the pink was all ready!

 

Close up!

 

But I burned the purple. Which is a first for me. It wasn't that I left it too long, it's that I popped it into the toaster oven before the clay had reached temperature. Le-sigh!

 
The pink turned out pretty good, though. This is the finished rock candy with a Minifee hand.


And with a Delf hand.

 

I also discovered that the uncooked polymer clay I had in a Jelly Belly package has melted tiny holes in the plastic. Much to my amusement.

2 comments:

  1. this looks great for a first try! you make me want to go out and get a bunch of rock candy now... XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I mentioned lately how friggin awesome I think you are!?

    ReplyDelete